St Mary’s Old Church is a Grade II* listed church in north London. One of the first churches built specifically for Anglican use, the south elevation dates from 1563. Various ‘beautifications’ were made in the 17th and 18th centuries and a major renovation undertaken by Sir Charles Barry (architect of the Palace of Westminster) in 1829; bomb damage necessitated additional alterations in the 1950s.
Matthew Lloyd Architects was appointed through competitive interview to adapt the Old Church for community uses, alongside its continued use for worship, in its mission to ‘build community through the arts’. New kitchen and toilet facilities are sensitively inserted into the space to support its function as an arts venue.
St. Mary's Stoke Newington PCC