St Paul’s West Hackney is located between Stoke Newington and Dalston in the London Borough of Hackney. Built in 1960 by the renowned church architect NF Cachemaille-Day to replace the original church of 1823 that as bombed in the Second World War, St Paul’s occupies a prominent site on the main A10 arterial route into the City. Over the last ten years or so, the church hall has become increasingly important in addressing the needs of those marginalised by society, and partnerships have been formed with many local groups providing these essential services. Many of the existing user groups now need to expand or adapt their services to meet the changing needs of their users. Matthew Lloyd architects were appointed in 2013 to extend the hall and to create a new lady chapel on the site.
The new extension is a linear building which sits low against the existing hall and in deference to the church itself, whilst creating a new face to the whole site on the southern side. An office extends along the southern flank wall of the church and is predominantly glazed at the corner in order to give a sense of openness, and provide a more visible and welcoming prospect from the high street. By contrast, the new chapel has only clerestory windows in order to preserve a sense of peace and privacy. These two distinct elements are separated by the new, covered entrance which is on axis with the original entrances to the north and south sides of the hall.
The project was completed in summer 2017.
St. Paul's West Hackney PCC
Shortlisted for the RICS Community Benefit Award 2018